Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Theft-Resistant Vehicles

My mom sent me this little snippet in a letter a few years ago.  It made me smile, and I've kept it tucked in my wallet since then.  I thought it sounded like good description of Logan vehicles, as well as Camp trucks!

Theft-Resistant Trucks

Here are the top 10 reasons farm trucks are rarely stolen.

10. They only have a range of 20 miles before they break down or run out of gas

9.Only the owner knows how to operate the broken door latch to get in or out

8. It's hard to drive fast with all the fencing tools, ropes, chains and loose paper flying around in the cab

7. It's hard to see through the cloud of smoke coming in through the floorboard

6. The dog on the toolbox looks mean.

5. They're too easy to spot.  A police description would sound something like: "The driver's side door is primer red, the right front fender is gray..."

4. The big round bale in the bed makes it hard to tell if you're being chased.

3. Top speed is 45 mph.

2. Who wants a truck that needs U-joints, $5000 in body work, a new windshield...

And the number 1 reason :

It's hard to commit a crime when everyone you drive past waves at you!


Hannah, Ruth and I with the beloved old black Ford that finally bit the dust!

Back home in junior church, we used to sing a (somewhat sacrilegious) song called "You can't get to Heaven on Roller Skates."  One of our teachers modified the song to say "Oh, you can't get to Heaven in the Logan's car, 'cause the Logan's car won't go that far!"

Ahh..yes, the Logan's cars were well known.  It was either all of us crowded into the truck rattling down the road to church, or all 6 of us adults in the car-with one up in the front between Mom and Dad.  Our record is a 7 hour trip!  The buckles are only about 8 inches apart, and are not comfy to sit on, to say the least.  Dad found a lumpy gold cushion and wedged it in the front middle seat for us to sit on.  The "Royal Cushion" as we called it made intolerable trips bearable.

 Another child memory was hitting a deer with our large, boxy white car.  A few weeks after that incident,  we were at church looking out the window with some other kids, and one of the boys said, "Wow, look at that old dented car out there, I wonder who would drive a car like that." 
The answer-WE would!

When I was younger, my dream car was a purple Dodge Caravan minivan.  I adored the pictures of it in the Family Fun magazine, looking over every nook and cranny, and I especially liked the little plastic drawer under the passenger seat.

Today, my dream car is anything that runs.

(although Mustangs are pretty neat...I wouldn't mind just touching one :) )

Amazing how time and frugality and necessity change what's really important!

No comments:

Post a Comment