Sunday, February 9, 2014

Psalm 91

Psalm 91 has become one of my favorite Psalms as of late. This year has been one of some uncertainties, and my "security blankets" have all been taken away from me.  When the circumstances and people I rely on for my security are removed...there is only God.  It's easy to say "God is enough," and I know it's true, but does my life show that reality?  This Psalm is an incredible reminder of  God's protection for me, even through doubts, through being afraid, and through the spiritual "wars" that have seemed unrelenting.  This is truly a picture of God as my Father.  I won't type out the whole chapter, but here's a few highlights:

vs. 1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the
  shadow of the Almighty.

vs. 2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God: in him will I trust

vs. 4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler

vs. 14-16 (God's perspective) Because he hath set his love upon me, 
therefore will I deliver him: 

I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.  

He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: 

I will be with him in trouble; 

I will deliver him, and honour him. 

With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

Wow!  This is truth, straight from the word of God.  Why he would do all this for us poor, miserable humans is beyond me, but I'm not God...HE IS!

I'm looking forward to seeing these realities come out in my own life.  
I suppose it's worth the struggle... If I don't face hard things, I don't need deliverance.  
If I don't face storms, I don't need shelter.  
If I don't have trouble, I won't need him to rescue me.  

Therefore...BRING ON THE TRIALS! 
(maybe kind of a gentle, little by little, put-it-to-me-softly kind of trial ! :) )

This has just been such an encouraging chapter.  I'm contemplating rewriting some of it in poetic form and setting it to music...we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment