Sunday, February 16, 2014

My Little Brother Has a Fiancee!

On Saturday, my brother asked Angelique Marie Drew to marry him.  The first thing she said...

"What?"

Then, realizing what he was asking, she replied with a resounding 

"Yes!"

Rob and Angie <3<3

Angie is such a joy to be around, and she fits in well with our family, which is no small feat! :)  This is the story from the big sister perspective:

Approximately 3 years ago:

Ruth mentioned that she thought maybe Robbie had his eye on someone.  I had thought the same thing, only a different person!  Ruth told me that she thought he might be interested in Angie Drew.  Honestly, I've never met another girl who I thought would go well with him, and it really seemed like it could work out.  So, we started observing, and noticing reactions when they were together.  Robbie would come to camp and help out on the weekends, so they got to know each other in a work environment.  He picked on her, but that was nothing unusual, right?  Robbie picks on everyone!

About 2 years ago:

Robbie came and helped out for the Valentine's Banquet.  After cleanup, he asked me if he could talk to me about something.  Instinctively, I knew it was about a girl, and I was pretty sure it was about Angie, even though he had never said anything.  (Big sisters are pretty nosy observant of any romantic interests their brothers have!)  It didn't work out that weekend, because there were a lot of people around, so the next time we went home to Illinois, we drove to church together.  This is about the way the conversation went.

Robbie:  So...I wanted to talk to you about something...do you know what it is...
Me: Maybe
Robbie...Well,...what do you think it is?...(hesitates, face turning slightly red.)
Me:  You tell me
Robbie: No...you tell me what you think it is...
Me: You said you wanted to talk to me about something.  I figured you were either in trouble with the law, or were interested in a girl
Robbie:  Well,...do you have any idea which one?
Me:  The girl?
Robbie: Which girl?
Me: You tell me!
Robbie:...No, you tell me who you think it might be...
Me:  Someone I live with?
Robbie:....Maybe
Me:  Good choice-we were thinking the same thing!  I knew that's why you wanted to talk to me! :)

Then, we were actually able to talk about Angie without all the awkward pauses and such!  I respected him for choosing a girl who wasn't "out there" trying to attract men's attention, a girl who was a homemaker, a Godly girl with a meek, quiet spirit.  It was a relief knowing he wasn't going to be "shopping" for girls at college, but had noticed Angie as she went about serving the Lord, doing just what she was supposed to do.  Our whole family loves Angie.  Dad didn't know her very well, and said "Well, Angie, I like you until you give me a reason not to!" (so far, so good!)  My mom really liked Angie, and developed a love for her even before Robbie and Angie's relationship started.  All of us girls have worked in the kitchen with Angie for the last few years, and she's become like another sister to us.  We remind Robbie "We liked her first!"

After Robbie talked to Dad about starting a friendship with Angie,  He wrote and asked her Dad if he could begin corresponding.  Her Dad wrote a really sweet email, giving Robbie permission, and telling him how special his daughter was.  When Angie found out, she was all flustered!  Then, the day Robbie came in person to meet with her, she was REALLY flustered!  She was ripping up rags, and then when Robbie tried to talk to her, she went and hid!  She finally came out and they were able to kick off their relationship!

1 year ago:

Robbie and Dad met Mr. Drew halfway between here and Texas, and Robbie asked if he could officially court Angie.  Mr. Drew said yes, and so did Angie!

Aaaaand...the rest is history!

It'll be exciting to see what the Lord has in store for them.  I can guarantee one thing...their life will not be boring!


"To everything, there is a Season." ~Ecclesiastes 3:1

1 comment:

  1. This is good news! Thanks for the posting Rachel. I love your description of the Lord bringing them together! I remember Rob just smiling when I inquired about Angie. I am happy for them both! You are gaining a wonderful sister in law too! Diana K.

    ReplyDelete